Foodie Frontier






With over 60 trucks (and counting) throughout Los Angeles that you're supposed to chase down all over town, I've decided to exercise my patience and see if I can't get all 60 trucks to come to ME at my West Los Angeles job location. Follow me to see if I can accomplish this unlikely goal!

Check out my tasty discoveries!

Check out my tasty discoveries!
Every lunch break is a culinary adventure!

FOLLOW THAT TRUCK!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Truck of the day, Thursday, February 11th

Today's truck of the day had some stiff competition. Around noon, I logged on to my favorite tracking source to locate todays' lunch. The picture I'd like to paint for you is me, setting a snare to catch a wild hare like Survivorman would. That's right, I'd like to think I corner my pray, sneak up on it, then grill it until it's perfectly charred and free of killer disease. Clearly that's not the case.

I simply clicked a few buttons on my computer, walked for about 8 minutes, and there parked 3 fine trucks! Tasty Meat and Fressers were the frontrunners, followed by todays' Westside wildcard- The Genesis- Kogi. Be it that it is the genesis, I had to pass- for I have had more korean bbq burritos than I care to admit. So now, we're down to 2.

I skip across the street to Tasty Meat first, because I had my heart set on The Cuban. When I saw they ran out, I politely took 13 steps north to Fressers. Let me just say that pastrami is hands down my favorite sandwich- so I never had the intention to walk past this truck empty handed. What I didn't expect was for the fella hand carving the meat to hand me a slice from his cutting board. Boy am I glad he did!

This was a succulent piece of meat! It was flavorful, juicy, tender, and had remarkable color. The bark was salty and almost briny, and the texture felt like butter on my tongue. Yet there was not one single piece of fat. And that's why Fressers gets honorable mention as todays' truck of the day.

The winner? Oh the winner! Tasty Meat takes the cake, or should I say takes the meat for ingenuity and taste. So back to The Cuban I went after (keep up guys- we're talking about a sandwich!) Much to my dismay as soon as I glanced at the thoughtful carnivorous partially mediterranean menu, I realized there was a thick piece of masking tape obstructing the word, "The Cuban." I couldn't believe it. I felt defeated  at first but was redeemed shortly thereafter when the nice fella with the order book explained there were no Cuban sandwiches today and encouraged me to try something else. In lieu of  my desired snack I ordered a grilled cheese. Sounds silly right? Especially because there in fact is a grilled cheese truck which we'll speak about on a later date.

The kind Sir with his persevering spirit suggested that I add meat to my grilled cheese to make up for the Cuban. While he mentioned a beef/ lamb mix, my supernatural palette urged me to go another route: the chicken- which they claim, "swims for a whole day in secret soy lemon-lime soda marinade." They also boast that its treated in a, "chicken day spa," for a full 24-hours. I gotta tell you- this chicken must've been to the Glen Ivy of chicken spas because it was delicious!

First of all, you wanna talk about cheese paper? This sandwich was oozing with amazing cheeses that thoughtfully blanketed this savory chopped chicken enveloped in a warm grilled flatbread that clearly was torched with butter on a hot flat top.

Let's recap...Grilled cheese with chicken, in buttery hot flatbread. Sounds boring? Don't let the ears deceive you, for this is perfectly expectable culinary genius and because it was on the fly, it has earned Tasty Meats todays' truck of the day recognition.

The fact that this treat isn't blatantly on the menu, there was a person OUTSIDE the truck to greet potential customers, AND I got this awesome sandwich and tasty fries for only $6! There's no beating that! On top of being inviting and creative, they're also good people. While I was waiting on my Fressers sandwich next door, the chef from Tasty Meats got off the truck and walked over a few meals to the staff at Fressers. How's that for good sportsmanship?!? I know they'll be one of the trucks downtown this weekend, and they are definitely worth the look!

Congrats to Fressers for the honorable mention and incomparable meat preparation. You could still be the truck of the day- provided you and I meat again! Get it, meat again?! Aww shucks, okay, fine. Never mind. Wheels are up on lunch today- see ya next time!

No comments: