Foodie Frontier






With over 60 trucks (and counting) throughout Los Angeles that you're supposed to chase down all over town, I've decided to exercise my patience and see if I can't get all 60 trucks to come to ME at my West Los Angeles job location. Follow me to see if I can accomplish this unlikely goal!

Check out my tasty discoveries!

Check out my tasty discoveries!
Every lunch break is a culinary adventure!

FOLLOW THAT TRUCK!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Origins of a Foodie

So consider me being the blindfolded short kid trying to hit a donkey pinata that's suspended 10ft beyond my reach- and again i'm blindfolded. That's sorta what I'm doing here.
I'm 20 something, have a very exciting job as a television story producer, and I don't drive. I'm obsessed with the culture, smells, sights, and everyday happenstance of Los Angeles California and I experience it all on foot. Even with a car- I choose to take on these mean streets on foot. And on weekends, I hop on a plane after work and do the same thing in Northern California.

No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I'm always chewing along the way. I love food. I love the way it smells, tastes, teases the senses, upsets my stomach, and alters my mood. Since I'm stuck in an office or on a hot set for up to 15 hours a day, the only chance I get to tempt my taste buds with tasty combinations of the unknown is on my lunch hour. Thank goodness I work in beautiful West Los Angeles- a practical parking lot for the steadily budding lunch truck culture.

These aren't your average hunks of metal also known as roach coaches with cheese 'exhaust' burgers grilled on the transmission and tented blue windows that make cow tongue look awfully similar to chicken underneath the high noon sun. We're talking shiny, clean, colorful custom built mobile kitchens toting the capable culinary hands that produce masterpieces we couldn't have wrapped our minds around just 10 years ago. Everything is available- from American sandwiches to Vietnamese pho- these trucks can feed you 3 square meals a day. That is, if you know where to find them.

Each truck has a viral following and can be tracked down, even located on GPS systems. I have a feeling that this is half the fun, the experience of hunting and gathering.

Everyday, I will hunt down another mobile kitchen. I may even go for 2 or 3, and share with you my findings on this Foodie Frontier!

No comments: