Foodie Frontier






With over 60 trucks (and counting) throughout Los Angeles that you're supposed to chase down all over town, I've decided to exercise my patience and see if I can't get all 60 trucks to come to ME at my West Los Angeles job location. Follow me to see if I can accomplish this unlikely goal!

Check out my tasty discoveries!

Check out my tasty discoveries!
Every lunch break is a culinary adventure!

FOLLOW THAT TRUCK!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

TGIF!

I wish oh I wish I had a best truck of the day, but instead I bring you the very opposite of testimony! My first not-so-happy experience was first perpetuated by a lack of rest. Today I was tired. And I don’t mean like I started the weekend too soon tired, we’re talking 3 hours of sleep tired. I was looking forward to lunch not only to fill my humps but also to get some wind in my face and sun on my neck to keep me awake for the duration of the day.  So I conducted my daily scan of the neighborhood and what do ya know- there are two trucks in the area on my favorite little side street in West La.

One of the trucks was TastyMeats, my pick for yesterdays’ truck of the day. The other was the big yellow Gastrobus! Boy was I excited to see this ball of sunshine on wheels- dipped in a rich coat of paint the color of egg yolks. An ashy blackboard with delectable items spelled out on it hung just beside the order window. As my mouth began to water and I drew back the rushing saliva, smiling like a fat kid at a school potluck to ask what their specialty was, the chick says in a less than kosher tone, “We’re not serving anymore!” She shut the window and started the engine before I could ask where she was headed next or offer her a million dollars, or anything else I may have wanted to share to her. Now I know there HAS to be a nicer way to turn away eager customers who more than likely cyber-stalked you to this location.

My heart sank, just as their name did on my list of must-tries. When I gave it some more thought as I continued north toward the awesome black polka dot truck parked in front of the TLofts, I decided that the Gastrobus probably did me a favor. I am on a flight as I type. Had I eaten something of  a a mobile kitchen called GASTRObus, I more than like would’ve had some regret. In fact, Iprobably would be unavailable for blogging in fear of dropping my MacBook Pro into a Southwest Airline blue toilet water stankfest. 

So believe it or not, what started out to be the worst truck experience really just saved my MacBook Pro from a sure death. So thanks Gastrobus- for being complete nozzles and turning me away like I knocked on the door of your 5-star restaurant in board shorts sipping a malt liquor 1 hour after the kitchen closed demanding service. Yep- I felt all that.

As not to take away from a now trustworthy lunch experience, I did enjoy another one of those awesome chicken grilled cheese flatbread situations from TastyMeats with a side of zesty spicy fries. They were smothered in some unidentifiable sauces, spices, and cheese. I can guess the cheese was feta and there was some taziki sauce on there too. There humble Mediterranean goodies are definitely showing their ability to go the distance when half these trucks end up in a junkyard 6 months from now. And to make up for just photographing cheese paper, I did remember to take a flic of the sandwich before scarfing it down this time!

I’m halfway to San Francisco on my almost weekly trip to the bay area. I wonder what tasty treats cupid has lined up for me. I hear there is a fleet of trucks in the City, perhaps I’ll get to check a couple of them out. I am sad to miss the La Food Truck Fest, but I’m sure there will be others- beside, that’s too easy. If there all in one place, then what will I have to write about everyday? I like to hunt for my feed, remember?

I think it’s time I work on some catchy catchphrase to go out on like, “I bid you good eats,” or my personal favorite “Seacrest, Out!” I think I’ll work on that this weekend! 

3 comments:

Eric said...

Loving this blog so far. Can't wait to read more!

SDW said...

I want that chicken grilled cheese sandwich SAP!!!

spoonie said...

That's really too bad. The gastrobus is Yummy, it's worth giving it another shot. I tried them at the Food Fest last weekend...and the caliber of food they serve is far above the rest.